Friday, February 21, 2014

Kindness


Illness has been our constant companion lately and, while I would love to hide away in my bedroom until spring,  the requirements of daily life continue.  While  J.M. Barrie reminds us to not only be kind, but to take that extra step and be kinder, his words have less of an effect on my behavior than my dear mother's.  

Even when we were ill my mother would admonish our lack of manners, should we have forgotten to thank the doctor for the antibiotic injection given to make us feel better.  I am sure I do not need to share how I loathed needles, but that was no excuse for bad manners.  

"After all, it is the least you can do after dear Dr. Scott took time out of his busy day to see you", she would remind.  

And, while there are times I would dearly love to be selfish and more than a bit rude, I continue to hear mother's lessons in my ear.  A southern mother will tolerate many things, but lack of manners is not one of them.  

For the next few weeks I will be writing about these lessons, lessons learned at my mother's knee and I hope you will share those lessons taught by your dear mother.



~ All spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors are intentional 
and intended  solely to prove that I am but a mere human being.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcomed, but please remember...
"Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not." ~ Mark Twain