Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Details



Quiet Perfection
My mother has always been a proponent of natural beauty, believing that true beauty rests in the perfection of the natural. While always taking great care with  her own appearance, her children's were  of equal importance.

Each morning, after brushing my teeth,  my face would be bathed with a fresh clothe and then a light moisturizer applied to my delicate skin.  Next, my hair was combed, making sure the tortoiseshell barrette was securely in place, before adding the final detail.


The Subtle Detail
While perfume on anyone younger than 18 was considered common, eaux de toilette was deemed acceptable. The smallest amount was applied behind the ears, on the wrists, and behind my knees.  
Off to school I went, feeling every inch the lady.

The scent of honeysuckle always, always recalls this memory.  
This sweet memory of being taught to revere the quiet perfection of a very dignified and ladylike practice.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcomed, but please remember...
"Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not." ~ Mark Twain